Culture info

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Culture info

Post  katdgrant on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:49 pm

What is the general culture in China, I want to learn more about it as being with someone from China...I am sure there is different cultures within China, just want to learn more Wink
katdgrant

View user profile http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=626876671

Back to top Go down

Re: Culture info

Post  Thomas on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:17 am

I've never been to China before. I think it's a very interesting country, and I would love to visit China somday.

I think China and Vietnam are culturally similar. China and Vietnam are neighbors and both countries were in contact for thousands of years. China has great influences on Vietnam. Did you know that the Chinese invented paper, rockets, and pasta? Yes, pasta was stolen from China by Italian travelers back in those times.

Just throwing out some random stuff. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thomas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:19 pm

They are very good for the world, invented so much!! I just mean in culture in general. Like what life is like, cooking, what is good to say or do, what is not good to do.
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:27 pm

Yes, every culture has good things and bad things. We should all live by the good things. Very Happy

Thomas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:06 pm

katdgrant wrote:What is the general culture in China, I want to learn more about it as being with someone from China...I am sure there is different cultures within China, just want to learn more Wink

Yes, Kat. But sorry, I didn't see what you wrote, because I don't come too much in this section of the forum. But please tell me precisely what you would like to know, because even if I have to talk in a generalized way about Chinese culture, there are so many things to write! clown

joseph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:18 pm

joseph wrote:
katdgrant wrote:What is the general culture in China, I want to learn more about it as being with someone from China...I am sure there is different cultures within China, just want to learn more Wink

Yes, Kat. But sorry, I didn't see what you wrote, because I don't come too much in this section of the forum. But please tell me precisely what you would like to know, because even if I have to talk in a generalized way about Chinese culture, there are so many things to write! clown
Hmm...I dunno. Just things I should know. How life is there, what are things normally done, what is not acceptable and what is good to do. I just want to know more about China so I know how he lived ... etc....

Gone now! Be back soon!!
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:46 pm

katdgrant wrote:
joseph wrote:

Hmm...I dunno. Just things I should know. How life is there, what are things normally done, what is not acceptable and what is good to do. I just want to know more about China so I know how he lived ... etc....

Gone now! Be back soon!!

Okay, some basic things. If you invite a Chinese to eat in a Chinese restaurant, don't propose the person Cantonese rice (fried rice), because normally, when Cantonese rice was created, it was from rice that was from the day before (eve) which was used to make the dish. So, for a Chinese, it is not a good thing to propose Cantonese rice, because it is as an insult since you are giving him or her rice which is not fresh (supposingly from the day before)!

I don't know if you are aware that the number 4 is synonymous of bad luck for Chinese people (like 13 for the western people), because the number 4 (Si), has the same pronounciation as dead (Si) in Chinese. So, in countries where there is a majority of Chinese people, you will never see the 4th storey, no number 4 in the elevators, etc.. (it is also true for the Japanese who have adopted the Chinese way of counting. But instead of using the word Si for the number 4, Japanese use the word 'Yon' to say 4 (trying to avoid saying dead); like they use 'san' for 3 which is the way to count in Chinese form, and 'Mitsu' to say 3 in Japanese way (like Mitsubishi which means 3 diamonds).

San= 3 in Chinese which is also used in Japanese language

Mitsu=3 in Japanese language, therefore also used in Japanese language

As I said, there are so many things like that to say, and I can write pages and pages!
alien

I will try to talk a little bit about all these from time to time! bounce

joseph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:50 pm

OH, that makes sense...I will never offer that rice LOL!! You know what, the was one thing I knew!! When working with a cable, phone and internet provider they said how a lot of Asian's will ask for a phone number with no 4 in it and I looked it up to find out why! Hehe I is smart!! A lot of ppl would make them have one with the most 4's in it as possible!! Which was not cool, I would search for them. Hmm what else should I know, just send some more little bit at a time Smile
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:20 am

katdgrant wrote:OH, that makes sense...I will never offer that rice LOL!! You know what, the was one thing I knew!! When working with a cable, phone and internet provider they said how a lot of Asian's will ask for a phone number with no 4 in it and I looked it up to find out why! Hehe I is smart!! A lot of ppl would make them have one with the most 4's in it as possible!! Which was not cool, I would search for them. Hmm what else should I know, just send some more little bit at a time Smile

Ok, I will try. I have a lots of Razz stuffs to do, now. But I will tell you whenever it is possible! Razz

joseph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54 pm

joseph wrote:
katdgrant wrote:OH, that makes sense...I will never offer that rice LOL!! You know what, the was one thing I knew!! When working with a cable, phone and internet provider they said how a lot of Asian's will ask for a phone number with no 4 in it and I looked it up to find out why! Hehe I is smart!! A lot of ppl would make them have one with the most 4's in it as possible!! Which was not cool, I would search for them. Hmm what else should I know, just send some more little bit at a time Smile

Ok, I will try. I have a lots of Razz stuffs to do, now. But I will tell you whenever it is possible! Razz
Yay Smile
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  viet364 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 pm

I dont know what you guys talking about. fried rice was originally made with left overs with rice. however i eat fried rice all the time and this rice looks pretty dam new. even the char siu and baby fried shrimp they used. wow fresh peas, carrots, chives! *drools*

also stay away from shark fin. besides the fact that they massacre sharks ONLY for their fins, that stuff will give you the runs no matter how tasty it is. I think they was trying to sell shark meat in hawaii. i dont know how successful was that.

I would say stay away from bird nest soup aka egg drop soup but thats yummy soup. no matter what kind of stuff they put inside lol. I DARE YOU TO ASK ME WHAT IT IS! only if you promise to try it before bashing it Smile

viet364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:37 pm

viet364 wrote:I dont know what you guys talking about. fried rice was originally made with left overs with rice. however i eat fried rice all the time and this rice looks pretty dam new. even the char siu and baby fried shrimp they used. wow fresh peas, carrots, chives! *drools*

also stay away from shark fin. besides the fact that they massacre sharks ONLY for their fins, that stuff will give you the runs no matter how tasty it is. I think they was trying to sell shark meat in hawaii. i dont know how successful was that.

I would say stay away from bird nest soup aka egg drop soup but thats yummy soup. no matter what kind of stuff they put inside lol. I DARE YOU TO ASK ME WHAT IT IS! only if you promise to try it before bashing it Smile

I hope that you are not coming here to criticize! But we are talking about some customs. Well about the fried rice, it is because of its origins that makes its this bad reputation among certain chinese. I mean you don't know how the person might react. so, it's better that you don't propose him/her, because you never know! alien But do you know that sometimes, they use shark meat to do fish balls?

joseph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  viet364 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 pm

not here to criticize, just my thoughts on fried rice from my experience. i never heard of using shark meat in fish balls. isn't shark meat is tough?

Twisted Evil You mean hard to eat? No, it is very soft. I have tasted it before! sorry, my english is not very good, and from time to time, I understand upside down!!

viet364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:52 pm

It is great to hear more info about China and love to hear more!
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:51 am

katdgrant wrote:It is great to hear more info about China and love to hear more!
javascript:emoticonp('Razz')

So, I have a question for you Kat! Why Chinese people use firecrakers? Razz

joseph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:27 pm

joseph wrote:
katdgrant wrote:It is great to hear more info about China and love to hear more!

Wink To scare away bad sprits? LOL!!
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:58 pm

katdgrant wrote:
joseph wrote:

Wink To scare away bad sprits? LOL!!

So, you knew it, right? Yes, they think that these noise will make them run away, and the red color of the firecrackers is to bring good luck jocolor

joseph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:53 pm

joseph wrote:So, you knew it, right? Yes, they think that these noise will make them run away, and the red color of the firecrackers is to bring good luck jocolor
Hehe I knew red meant good luck, like for the red envelopes given out for new year Wink And of course gold mean prosperity Smile
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:54 pm

I know ONE thing to ask, what is the normal tradition for if you got pregnant in China? Do you have to get married? I am unsure as it maybe more clear to know what is tradition with pregnancy there.
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:17 pm

katdgrant wrote:
joseph wrote:So, you knew it, right? Yes, they think that these noise will make them run away, and the red color of the firecrackers is to bring good luck jocolor
Hehe I knew red meant good luck, like for the red envelopes given out for new year Wink And of course gold mean prosperity Smile

Good, you know a lot!! alien

joseph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:34 pm

joseph wrote:
katdgrant wrote:

Good, you know a lot!! alien
Very Happy Thanks Smile
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:18 am

katdgrant wrote:I know ONE thing to ask, what is the normal tradition for if you got pregnant in China? Do you have to get married? I am unsure as it maybe more clear to know what is tradition with pregnancy there.

Well Kat, I am not 100% sure about what I say. As far as I know, in the past, it was considered shameful to be pregnant before marriage (I mean, in mainland China, and in Asian, in general). But I know that nowadays, China (like Japan) is becoming more and more like the Western societies, and many people have sex without marriage. So, if you are pregnant (as in your case, in China), the family will just be a bit embarassed, but that's all. I mean, it won't be a big deal. Remember that Eastern Asian societies have so many things in common with the Western societies, and this is why we like each other (I mean we don't have too many cultural frictions); it is not like the Western world, and the Middle-Eastern cultures. You see, many Western people like Asian cultures, and many Asian people have Western first names! alien

joseph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katdgrant on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:53 pm

joseph wrote:Well Kat, I am not 100% sure about what I say. As far as I know, in the past, it was considered shameful to be pregnant before marriage (I mean, in mainland China, and in Asian, in general). But I know that nowadays, China (like Japan) is becoming more and more like the Western societies, and many people have sex without marriage. So, if you are pregnant (as in your case, in China), the family will just be a bit embarassed, but that's all. I mean, it won't be a big deal. Remember that Eastern Asian societies have so many things in common with the Western societies, and this is why we like each other (I mean we don't have too many cultural frictions); it is not like the Western world, and the Middle-Eastern cultures. You see, many Western people like Asian cultures, and many Asian people have Western first names! alien
I did see a special show on travel to China, central china and first place was shanghai I love you so learned a bit about it. Not much thou LOL!! Yeah I have noticed with western names, **poke** lol, I love Asian names. I would love to have a baby with a Asian name with Western as well lol. So difficult. I do like a few, I am loving one name which is female and it is Mei...cute and pronounced more western ((May)). But I dont know lol! I did not know if his family would be upset over this, who knows...I dont know where they are. Very well in Shanghai. Thanks Smile
katdgrant

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:38 am

Gno oi lei = I love you in Cantonese.
Lehn Chaii = Handsome guy

Just throwin' some useful phrases around. Smile

-Mario.
Mario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:59 pm

Mario wrote:Gno oi lei = I love you in Cantonese.
Lehn Chaii = Handsome guy

Just throwin' some useful phrases around. Smile

-Mario.

That's cool. Thanks for sharing.
In Vietnamese: Anh yeu em= I love you( a guy saying it to a girl)
Em yeu anh(a girl saying it to a guy)
Anh chang dep trai=handsome guy

Thomas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top