What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:30 pm

I don't know what to write. So give me some things you like to find out about SE Asia and I'll try to answer them. Smile

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:36 am

Talk about some local food, customs, why not climate? People, also! Of course, I know a little bit, but I prefer to let you write about your region, Lake! cat

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:56 am

Sure!... Basketball

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:39 am

Did you know that in Vietnam people used to bow when greeting? Bowing is rarely seen in Vietnam anymore. People now prefer to shake hands when meeting others. (Western Influence). Men would offer handshakes when meeting other men. It's a little bit different with the women. Women, especially those from the countryside are still shy away from shaking hands. It's generally best not to offer a Vietnamese woman a handshake unless she offers first.

Many Vietnamese still prefer to be introduced by an aquaintance or when they are asked to. This is seen as shyness or too modest to Western culture.

Names are very important in Vietnam. Many Vietnamese have secret names that are known and revealed only to their families and close friends. In Vietnam, the family name comes first, then the middle name, and then the last name. Vietnamese do not call people by their last names. For example, John Smith is called Mr. Smith, but in Vietnam it's actually the first name that follows Mr. It should be called Mr. John in Vietnam.

Well, that's my lesson for the day. Laughing Laughing

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Admin on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:45 pm

TDoubled:D wrote:Did you know that in Vietnam people used to bow when greeting? Bowing is rarely seen in Vietnam anymore. People now prefer to shake hands when meeting others. (Western Influence). Men would offer handshakes when meeting other men. It's a little bit different with the women. Women, especially those from the countryside are still shy away from shaking hands. It's generally best not to offer a Vietnamese woman a handshake unless she offers first.

Many Vietnamese still prefer to be introduced by an aquaintance or when they are asked to. This is seen as shyness or too modest to Western culture.

Names are very important in Vietnam. Many Vietnamese have secret names that are known and revealed only to their families and close friends. In Vietnam, the family name comes first, then the middle name, and then the last name. Vietnamese do not call people by their last names. For example, John Smith is called Mr. Smith, but in Vietnam it's actually the first name that follows Mr. It should be called Mr. John in Vietnam.

Well, that's my lesson for the day. Laughing Laughing

Wow this is so interesting! they have secret names... i wish i had a secret name Razz and i like the fact that they call people by their first names and not last names Smile

Admin
Admin

Posts : 305
Join date : 2008-08-12

View user profile http://iasiang.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:58 am

Wow this is so interesting! they have secret names... i wish i had a secret name Razz and i like the fact that they call people by their first names and not last names Smile[/quote]


In Vietnam, it's considered rude to call a person by their family name. Basketball

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:34 am

TDoubled:D wrote:Wow this is so interesting! they have secret names... i wish i had a secret name Razz and i like the fact that they call people by their first names and not last names Smile


In Vietnam, it's considered rude to call a person by their family name. Basketball[/quote]

You're doing a good job, Lake. Thank you for all these good information! Razz

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:34 pm

No problem Joe. Glad to be helpful to this forum. Smile

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:59 pm

TDoubled:D wrote:No problem Joe. Glad to be helpful to this forum. Smile

Laughing

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:12 pm

I found this article on wikipedia about Vietnamese cuisine. If you're interested in checking out, here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Vietnam

Smile Smile

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:58 am

Hey, if anyone want to know something about SE Asia post your question and i'll try to answer my best. Smile

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:37 am

TDoubled:D wrote:Hey, if anyone want to know something about SE Asia post your question and i'll try to answer my best. Smile

Hey Lake, do you know how to make Nem chua? The fermented pink pork?? If you can get the exact recipe for me it would be great. You are doing a good job, Lake. I try to learn some Vietnamese cultures throughout you!! Thanks! Smile


Last edited by joseph on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  viet364 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:33 am

joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:Hey, if anyone want to know something about SE Asia post your question and i'll try to answer my best. Smile

Hey Lake, do you know how to make Nem chua? The fermented pink pork?? If you can get the exact recipe for me it would be great. You are doing a good job, Lake. i try to learn some Vietnamese cultures throughout you!! Thanks! Smile


dude that stuff is awesome! my dad always have them when him and his buddies come over for drinks. had lots of pickled foods, boiling pot dishes, sashimi and all kinds of food and drinks.

viet364

Posts : 24
Join date : 2008-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  viet364 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:53 am

I guess not many people interested much in SE Asia? Especially Vietnam having over 50 ethnic groups.

Like H'mong if you want to court a girl you have to kidnap her. I think the kidnappers leave dowries. Or the girls would attach coins or something to their dresses so it make noises when they walk. This is so people know they are approaching. I'm probably mixing them up with another ethnic group but I'm just recalling a documentary I saw on PBS years ago.

viet364

Posts : 24
Join date : 2008-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:20 pm

viet364 wrote:I guess not many people interested much in SE Asia? Especially Vietnam having over 50 ethnic groups.

Like H'mong if you want to court a girl you have to kidnap her. I think the kidnappers leave dowries. Or the girls would attach coins or something to their dresses so it make noises when they walk. This is so people know they are approaching. I'm probably mixing them up with another ethnic group but I'm just recalling a documentary I saw on PBS years ago.

Very intersting! Never knew that before. Laughing

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:25 pm

joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:Hey, if anyone want to know something about SE Asia post your question and i'll try to answer my best. Smile

Hey Lake, do you know how to make Nem chua? The fermented pink pork?? If you can get the exact recipe for me it would be great. You are doing a good job, Lake. i try to learn some Vietnamese cultures throughout you!! Thanks! Smile

Oh yeah, I ate them before. Here's the recipe I found:

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound pork loin, sliced 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce 4 ounces pork skin 3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1/2 cup uncooked rice, roasted and ground banana leaves
2 cloves garlic, sliced 1 small red chili, sliced 1/2 cup pickled baby leeks


1 Pound pork meat thin and marinate with a portion of the salt, sugar and fish sauce. Cook pork skin until golden; allow to cool and cut into fine strips. Gently saute the garlic in oil until fragrant, then add remaining fish sauce and sugar, and reduce to a thick consistency.
2 Combine pork meat, pork skin, garlic, fish sauce and the rice meal. Shape into patties and place on banana leaf. Add a slice of garlic and a slice of chili before wrapping the "sausage" in the leaf. Refrigerate for 2 days. Serve with pickled leeks.

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:51 pm

TDoubled:D wrote:
joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:Hey, if anyone want to know something about SE Asia post your question and i'll try to answer my best. Smile

Hey Lake, do you know how to make Nem chua? The fermented pink pork?? If you can get the exact recipe for me it would be great. You are doing a good job, Lake. i try to learn some Vietnamese cultures throughout you!! Thanks! Smile

Oh yeah, I ate them before. Here's the recipe I found:

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound pork loin, sliced 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce 4 ounces pork skin 3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1/2 cup uncooked rice, roasted and ground banana leaves
2 cloves garlic, sliced 1 small red chili, sliced 1/2 cup pickled baby leeks


1 Pound pork meat thin and marinate with a portion of the salt, sugar and fish sauce. Cook pork skin until golden; allow to cool and cut into fine strips. Gently saute the garlic in oil until fragrant, then add remaining fish sauce and sugar, and reduce to a thick consistency.
2 Combine pork meat, pork skin, garlic, fish sauce and the rice meal. Shape into patties and place on banana leaf. Add a slice of garlic and a slice of chili before wrapping the "sausage" in the leaf. Refrigerate for 2 days. Serve with pickled leeks.

You're really a good friend, Lake! By the way, in which city do you live in California? I live in Foothill ranch, about 1 hr from LA. cheers one day, I will try the recipe, and I will tell you buddy. Viet, I hope that we will be good friends, too. But Lake know that I have bad temper! But I have a good heart! I don't like discrimination, and gets easily mad when people are racists (I'm not talking about you, don't misunderstand, okay!!)!! bounce

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:01 pm

joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:
joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:Hey, if anyone want to know something about SE Asia post your question and i'll try to answer my best. Smile

Hey Lake, do you know how to make Nem chua? The fermented pink pork?? If you can get the exact recipe for me it would be great. You are doing a good job, Lake. i try to learn some Vietnamese cultures throughout you!! Thanks! Smile

Oh yeah, I ate them before. Here's the recipe I found:

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound pork loin, sliced 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce 4 ounces pork skin 3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1/2 cup uncooked rice, roasted and ground banana leaves
2 cloves garlic, sliced 1 small red chili, sliced 1/2 cup pickled baby leeks


1 Pound pork meat thin and marinate with a portion of the salt, sugar and fish sauce. Cook pork skin until golden; allow to cool and cut into fine strips. Gently saute the garlic in oil until fragrant, then add remaining fish sauce and sugar, and reduce to a thick consistency.
2 Combine pork meat, pork skin, garlic, fish sauce and the rice meal. Shape into patties and place on banana leaf. Add a slice of garlic and a slice of chili before wrapping the "sausage" in the leaf. Refrigerate for 2 days. Serve with pickled leeks.

You're really a good friend, Lake! By the way, in which city do you live in California? I live in Foothill ranch, about 1 hr from LA. cheers one day, I will try the recipe, and I will tell you buddy. Viet, I hope that we will be good friends, too. But Lake know that I have bad temper! But I have a good heart! I don't like discrimination, and gets easily mad when people are racists (I'm not talking about you, don't misunderstand, okay!!)!! bounce

Oh, haha:D we're fighting at the beginning....lol.... I live in Orange County, I think Foothill is in Orange County too, right?

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:30 pm

TDoubled:D wrote:
joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:
joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:Hey, if anyone want to know something about SE Asia post your question and i'll try to answer my best. Smile

Hey Lake, do you know how to make Nem chua? The fermented pink pork?? If you can get the exact recipe for me it would be great. You are doing a good job, Lake. i try to learn some Vietnamese cultures throughout you!! Thanks! Smile

Oh yeah, I ate them before. Here's the recipe I found:

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound pork loin, sliced 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce 4 ounces pork skin 3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1/2 cup uncooked rice, roasted and ground banana leaves
2 cloves garlic, sliced 1 small red chili, sliced 1/2 cup pickled baby leeks


1 Pound pork meat thin and marinate with a portion of the salt, sugar and fish sauce. Cook pork skin until golden; allow to cool and cut into fine strips. Gently saute the garlic in oil until fragrant, then add remaining fish sauce and sugar, and reduce to a thick consistency.
2 Combine pork meat, pork skin, garlic, fish sauce and the rice meal. Shape into patties and place on banana leaf. Add a slice of garlic and a slice of chili before wrapping the "sausage" in the leaf. Refrigerate for 2 days. Serve with pickled leeks.

You're really a good friend, Lake! By the way, in which city do you live in California? I live in Foothill ranch, about 1 hr from LA. cheers one day, I will try the recipe, and I will tell you buddy. Viet, I hope that we will be good friends, too. But Lake know that I have bad temper! But I have a good heart! I don't like discrimination, and gets easily mad when people are racists (I'm not talking about you, don't misunderstand, okay!!)!! bounce

Oh, haha:D we're fighting at the beginning....lol.... I live in Orange County, I think Foothill is in Orange County too, right?

Yes, it's near Irvine. So which city are you living? maybe we can meet soon, because Orange county is not that big!! Very Happy

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:31 pm

We were fighting, because we misunderstood each other. I was fighting against racists, and you were contradicting me by saying to them that they were right! But it's now an old story, buddy! cheers

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:39 pm

joseph wrote:We were fighting, because we misunderstood each other. I was fighting against racists, and you were contradicting me by saying to them that they were right! But it's now an old story, buddy! cheers

No, it was a misunderstanding. I was not saying for the racists at all, in fact, I hate racist people! I just didn't read all the comments and didn't know which comments you responded to. I thought you were a mad man, attacking random people there on youtube....lol

Jesus Christ!, you live so near where I live. I live in Orange. Maybe someday we'll meet. Laughing

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:47 pm

TDoubled:D wrote:
joseph wrote:We were fighting, because we misunderstood each other. I was fighting against racists, and you were contradicting me by saying to them that they were right! But it's now an old story, buddy! cheers

No, it was a misunderstanding. I was not saying for the racists at all, in fact, I hate racist people! I just didn't read all the comments and didn't know which comments you responded to. I thought you were a mad man, attacking random people there on youtube....lol

Jesus Christ!, you live so near where I live. I live in Orange. Maybe someday we'll meet. Laughing

Orange is not near Santa Ana? Like Chapman street? Main, etc? We can meet soon! Yes, but when you said that most of the stereotypes are true, this is what made me mad! You see, when the White girls are trying to fight against these stereotypes, the confidence of Asian men is rising up, again, because we can see that there are more and more non-Asian girls like us, and that it is because of stereotypes that we think that we are worthless, and you know that it is not true! We are not worthless! But we are so pacific people that we let others crush us, and this is not good!! We are good lovers, because I know for what I have heard so far, and from my own experience that we are good lovers in the sense that we can satisfy the girls we love (sexually or or non-sexually!) Laughing


Last edited by joseph on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:59 pm

joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:
joseph wrote:We were fighting, because we misunderstood each other. I was fighting against racists, and you were contradicting me by saying to them that they were right! But it's now an old story, buddy! cheers

No, it was a misunderstanding. I was not saying for the racists at all, in fact, I hate racist people! I just didn't read all the comments and didn't know which comments you responded to. I thought you were a mad man, attacking random people there on youtube....lol

Jesus Christ!, you live so near where I live. I live in Orange. Maybe someday we'll meet. Laughing

Orange is not near Santa Ana? Like Chapman street? Main, etc? We can meet soon! Yes, but when you said that most of the stereotypes are true, this is what made me mad! You see, when the White girls are trying to fight against these stereotypes, the confidence of Asian men is rising up, again, because we can see that there are more and more non-Asian girls like us, and that it is because of stereotypes that we think that we are worthless, and you know that it is not true! We are not worthless! But we are so pacific people that we let others crush us, and this is not good!! We are good lovers, because I know for what i heard, and from my own experience that we are good lovers in the sense that we can satisfy the girls we love! Laughing

No, Joe!, don't misunderstand me. I didn't say anything about stereotypes being true or not. Just saying that Asian guys are generally shy because they grew up in the culture that make them so. I agree Joe, we're not worthless, in fact, nobody in this world is worthless. They just need to do something worthwhile but some people choose not to. Yeah, most Asians, not all, are peace-loving people. And lol at your last sentence.

Oh, and I can't really give out my addresss. It's something that I must be very careful with. Mom and Dad don't like it when I give out address to people that I don't know too well. Srry, Joe. Maybe someday... Laughing

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  joseph on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:18 am

TDoubled:D wrote:
joseph wrote:
TDoubled:D wrote:
joseph wrote:We were fighting, because we misunderstood each other. I was fighting against racists, and you were contradicting me by saying to them that they were right! But it's now an old story, buddy! cheers

No, it was a misunderstanding. I was not saying for the racists at all, in fact, I hate racist people! I just didn't read all the comments and didn't know which comments you responded to. I thought you were a mad man, attacking random people there on youtube....lol

Jesus Christ!, you live so near where I live. I live in Orange. Maybe someday we'll meet. Laughing

Orange is not near Santa Ana? Like Chapman street? Main, etc? We can meet soon! Yes, but when you said that most of the stereotypes are true, this is what made me mad! You see, when the White girls are trying to fight against these stereotypes, the confidence of Asian men is rising up, again, because we can see that there are more and more non-Asian girls like us, and that it is because of stereotypes that we think that we are worthless, and you know that it is not true! We are not worthless! But we are so pacific people that we let others crush us, and this is not good!! We are good lovers, because I know for what i heard, and from my own experience that we are good lovers in the sense that we can satisfy the girls we love! Laughing

No, Joe!, don't misunderstand me. I didn't say anything about stereotypes being true or not. Just saying that Asian guys are generally shy because they grew up in the culture that make them so. I agree Joe, we're not worthless, in fact, nobody in this world is worthless. They just need to do something worthwhile but some people choose not to. Yeah, most Asians, not all, are peace-loving people. And lol at your last sentence.

Oh, and I can't really give out my addresss. It's something that I must be very careful with. Mom and Dad don't like it when I give out address to people that I don't know too well. Srry, Joe. Maybe someday... Laughing

Ok, I understand for the adress! Ok, we are not going to fight, again! But here is what you wrote lake (I copied it from ICgators: white girls who like Asians:
Hello,

I went through the comments and found that most of them are true about Asians even though some are really stupid, offensive, and racist. It's very true that most Asian guys are shy and they wouldn't come up to a girl they like.
.

Well, I agree that you were telling about shyness, but in the first sentence, I understood it that you were also talking about other stereotypes. But Lake, please, don't argue, we are friends! It is because of this misunderstanding that our fight started with, and we are still misunderstanding each other. I thought that you were giving reasons to the racists by saying that you ran through their comments and found that most of them are true...So, this is where I was saying also that you were crazy to say something like this ha ha ha!

If you are afraid to give your adress, I can give you the adress of the center where I go to prepare my exams. It's called Kaplan and the adress is www.kaplan.com:

2646 Dupont Drive suite 50
Irvine CA 92612
Tel 949 756 2960

I go there regularly. It's up to you. If you're afraid, I understand. But if one day you pass there, I am generally in the afternoon, around 3 PM. You can ask for Joseph (it's my real name). They know me. If I'm not there, you can ask for Moen, my best friend on the picture, and leave him a message. As you feel, buddy! cyclops


Last edited by joseph on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

joseph

Posts : 328
Join date : 2008-08-14
Location : California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Thomas on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:28 am

"I went through the comments and found that most of them are true about Asians even though some are really stupid, offensive, and racist. It's very true that most Asian guys are shy and they wouldn't come up to a girl they like."

Exactly Joe!, my first sentence was responding to those stupid, offensive, and racist comments about Asians. I was defending, not hating on Asians. I am Asian for godshake! Please don't missunderstand me Joe. Peace Joe. We don't need to continue this. cheers

Thomas

Posts : 144
Join date : 2008-09-06
Age : 29
Location : California, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you like to know about Southeast Asia?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum