IAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Vietnamese Superstitions

3 posters

Go down

Some Vietnamese Superstitions Empty Some Vietnamese Superstitions

Post  Thomas Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:26 am

There are many but I found a few right off a website:

Here they are:

Superstitions
There are numerous taboos on all aspects of life in Vietnam, just as we have our omens of bad luck such as walking under a ladder. A few of them are as follows:

Don’t express lavish admiration for a new baby, because the devils might hear you and steal the child because of his desirability.

When going somewhere on business, avoid seeing a woman first. If you do see a woman first as you go out your door or on the way, postpone the trip.

Mirrors are often placed on front doors. If a dragon tries to get in, he will see his reflection and think that there is already a dragon there and go away.

Single bowls of rice and chopsticks should not be served. Always place at least two on a table. One bowl is for the dead. Never let chopsticks touch others or make unnecessary noise with them. Do not place chopsticks in food and leave them there.

Do not hand someone a toothpick.

Never buy one pillow or mattress pad, always buy two.

Do not use relative’s towels.

Do not overturn musical instruments, or beat both sides of a drum simultaneously.

Do not cut finger and toenails at night.

Going dutch with a Vietnamese is not appreciated. If you run into someone at a restaurant and you join his table, let him pay the whole bill or pay it all yourself. The senior person usually pays.

Gifts for brides and grooms are usually given in pairs, including blankets. A single item indicates the marriage is not expected to last long. Two less expensive items are more desired than one nicer one.

Educated people and others who are not in the peasant class do not work with their hands. To do so would appear to try to beat a poor peasant out of his job. In addition, it is considered beneath the dignity of refined people.

Hats are not usually worn inside churches, even Catholic ones

Source:http://www.militaryliving.com/vietnam2/vietnamch6.htm

Basketball

Thomas

Back to top Go down

Some Vietnamese Superstitions Empty Re: Some Vietnamese Superstitions

Post  Admin Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:50 am

This is really cool Smile Some of these are really interesting, while others seem a little silly, but I guess that's why they're superstitions Razz What other customs are there? Tell us about weddings, or funerals, or about the calender (in case it is different) Smile

Admin
Admin

https://iasiang.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  viet364 Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:48 am

They say spirits often take new borns mainly boys especially if they really cute/beautiful. So parents would give them girl names, dress them in girl clothes and/or call them names like, "you're ugly" and what not but usually doing so with lots of love. By doing this, the spirit thinks the baby isn't worth taking. Proof of this is my mom calling my nephew names when he was a baby but its always with lots of smiles, hugs and love from what I've seen. One of my father's friend dressed up his son in girls clothes. I would think after being in the US for so long they wouldn't believe in those superstitions but only having 3 girls and finally a boy, I guess they didn't want to take chances.

Another that a friend of mine told me a long time ago since he was born in vietnam that when you are chased by a spirit, before you are caught, make a sharp turn in another direction. He said by doing that the spirit won't chase you because they can't turn. *shrugs* go figure Smile

My father also say don't whistle at night because you'll be calling the dead(mainly the bad ones I think). I guess I can claim this because my roommate always does it. One night while he was in my room talking, I was on my computer which was kind of faced at the door in an angle when I suddenly caught at the corner of my eye, a piece of paper going up than dropped. Not only hearing and somewhat saw what happen, my roommate claimed didn't hear anything Razz

viet364

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:01 pm

viet364 wrote:They say spirits often take new borns mainly boys especially if they really cute/beautiful. So parents would give them girl names, dress them in girl clothes and/or call them names like, "you're ugly" and what not but usually doing so with lots of love. By doing this, the spirit thinks the baby isn't worth taking. Proof of this is my mom calling my nephew names when he was a baby but its always with lots of smiles, hugs and love from what I've seen. One of my father's friend dressed up his son in girls clothes. I would think after being in the US for so long they wouldn't believe in those superstitions but only having 3 girls and finally a boy, I guess they didn't want to take chances.

Another that a friend of mine told me a long time ago since he was born in vietnam that when you are chased by a spirit, before you are caught, make a sharp turn in another direction. He said by doing that the spirit won't chase you because they can't turn. *shrugs* go figure Smile

My father also say don't whistle at night because you'll be calling the dead(mainly the bad ones I think). I guess I can claim this because my roommate always does it. One night while he was in my room talking, I was on my computer which was kind of faced at the door in an angle when I suddenly caught at the corner of my eye, a piece of paper going up than dropped. Not only hearing and somewhat saw what happen, my roommate claimed didn't hear anything Razz

Hey, welcome!

Yeah, I've heard about spirits not being able to turn...lol. So when you see a spirit that's coming after you, run in zigzag pattern and it will never be able to catch you. Laughing

Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  viet364 Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:04 pm

even if you zig zag they can still get you lol, you have to run AWAY in another direction.

viet364

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:07 pm

viet364 wrote:even if you zig zag they can still get you lol, you have to run AWAY in another direction.

lol...haha:D...turn and zigzag...lol

Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  viet364 Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:17 pm

well think about it. if you are zig zagging north, you're still heading north lol

viet364

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:30 pm

viet364 wrote:well think about it. if you are zig zagging north, you're still heading north lol

lol...haha:D. but if u zigzag, there's a better chance u will escape from the spirit. spirits don't like to zigzag do they?...lol

Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  viet364 Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

they dont really have too if they are going in the same direction as you lol.

viet364

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:40 pm

viet364 wrote:they dont really have too if they are going in the same direction as you lol.

lol...haha:D...I better turn an run perpendicular to the spirit...lol

Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  viet364 Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:43 pm

lol!

viet364

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:30 pm

viet364 wrote:lol!

Stupid spirit can't catch me anymore... lol!

Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down